Why You Need Magnesium If You’re Constantly Stressed Or Anxious

Magnesium deficiency

Anxiety and Stress are on the rise and it is important to know what you can do about it to decrease the chance of having these issues. Prescription medications are one way but they have side effects and are expensive.

Magnesium Deficiency

Science has known about Magnesium importance since 1968. Back then it was discovered that magnesium deficiency can cause depression, headaches, muscle cramps, seizures, ataxia, behavioral disturbances, irritability and psychosis. These symptoms were all reversible with magnesium intake.

Magnesium and GABA

GABA has the important role in the brain. With enough GABA neurotrasmitters, the brain will be calm. Magnesium is prerequisite for GABA, therefore if there is a decrease in Magnesium there could be a decrease in GABA neurotransmitter. When there is no GABA the brain is constantly “on” which translates into anxiety and stress in the individual.

Magnesium Supplements

Magnesium can be taken as a supplement or applied topically to avoid the digestive system. This supplementation has shown to decrease stress and anxiety symptoms in patients.

Magnesium Rich Foods

If you are avoiding the supplement route then increase foods that contain dietary fiber because in general they provide magnesium. Some cereals also have magnesium added to them.

Nuts & Seeds

Depending on the nuts and seeds you planning to intake you could intake 20% of your daily recommended intake with 1 ounce of nuts. One ounce of pumpkins seeds will give you 37% of Recommended daily intake.

Veggies

Spinach continues to live up to its moniker as a super food since just half a cup of spinach can lend you 20% of your RDI.

Fruit

Banana and apple provide 8% and 2% respectively. As a combined snack they are delicious and can lend you 10% of RDI magnesium.

Meat & Fish

Only some fish contain magnesium. It is calculated that per 3 ounces salmon or halibut contain magnesium enough for about 7% of your RDI. Chicken breast and lean beef contain about 6% per 3 ounces.

Other Food

Breakfast can be a time where magnesium intake can easily reach a high percentage. One cup of soy milk with a shredded wheat can lead to 30 percent of your required RDI. If you add a cup of raisins on that you are up to 36%

You can find magnesium in high quality grains, however you have to make sure that it is not highly processed grain, for example cooked white rice contains 3% whereas the brown version contains almost 4 times more.

Source: https://www.healthy-holistic-living.com

https://www.healthline.com